1 July 2007

A meme, a squirrel, and something which might be an eagle

A fun meme I found on Gabriele's blog. Three events, two births and one holiday...

14 April is my birthday, so here we go.

Events:
43 BC - Battle of Forum Gallorum. Mark Anthony, besieging Julius Caesar's assassin Decimus Junius Brutus in Mutina, defeats the forces of the consul Pansa, who is killed.
69 - Vitellius, commander of the Rhine armies, defeats Emperor Otho in the Battle of Bedriacum (sometimes called Cremona) and seizes the throne. Otho killed himself two days later.
1912 - The British ocean liner RMS Titanic strikes an iceberg in the North Atlantic on its maiden voyage at 11:40 P.M., sinking with the loss of over 1,500 lives at about 2:20 a.m. the following morning.

Births:
1578 - Philip III of Spain (d. 1621)
1629 - Christiaan Huygens, Dutch mathematician, astronomer and physicist (d. 1695)

Holidays:
Astrological New Year - celebrated as new year in South and South East Asia. Namely by Bengalis, Burmese, Cambodians, Laotians, Malayalese, Punjabis, Sinhalese, Tamils and Thais.

And, it's also National Day of Climate Action in the US :)

Now, that squirrel. I was outside on the veranda yesterday, reading, when something caught my eye. There was a squirrel in one of the trees, and it sat completely still, just looking at me with its beady little eyes. I don't really like squirrels.

The eagle was much cooler, but I don't have a picture of it, not a good one at least. I've been to that viewpoint in the forest almost every day this past week, and each time I've seen a big bird, which I'm pretty sure is an eagle. It has flown quite close to me a couple of times, but never long enough for me to take out my camera. I've tried waiting for it, but it's practically impossible to sit still outside for more than five minutes because the mosquitoes will eat you alive if you do.
I was planning on going up there again today with a mosquito net, but instead there was a thunderstorm:

There hasn't been a thunderstorm here for ages, so I rather enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Gabriele Campbell said...

That Roman post-Caesarian civil war pops up a lot of battles, lol. And I see you found something involving your Batavians as well.

About that squirrel? I think it is a Demon Plot Squirrel that made an alliance with the lapin du plot you got earlier. :)