6 July 2007

Bookstores are evil...

And the people who run them are omniscient, I swear. They know I have a job now, so they expect me to spend all my money on books. I began to have suspicions two weeks ago, when play.com suddenly decided to have a summer sale, which included a good many historical fiction books. Now, I am completely certain. The bookstores are plotting against me. I was browsing around just now after I got home from work, and what should I find but another sale - this time it's books about the Roman Empire. So, of course, I want to buy a few. Only I shouldn't. I know I shouldn't. I have to save some money so I can pay those pesky Uni fees and whatnot next year. And, I already have bought a few books last week (alright, I bought about ten. Sue me).
But, on the other hand, I've worked five hours overtime this week, so I can spend that money on books, right? Right?

Yeah, I think I'll do that...

2 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

If you don't have them already, get the books by Colleen McCullogh. They rock. And stay away from Iggulden, his version of Caesar's life is rather Hollywood-ish and messes with facts. Simon Scarrow's books are fun, too.

Smarty said...

I'm reading Scarrow's Under the Eagle at the moment - great stuff :) And I ordered the two next ones in the series (plus one by McCullough, some Livy, and a couple of other books about ancient history - six in total).

I already have Iggulden's books, I got them in Trondheim a few months ago. It took a while to decide whether or not to buy them - the cover said something like "If you liked Gladiator you'll love this book" and I hate Gladiator - but they were really cheap so I bought them anyway. I've read the first one, and, well, it was okay. Nothing more than that. I don't really like Iggulden's writing style, and I think he messed up the facts a bit too much than was strictly necessary. But it was okay to read during lunch breaks at work.