6 October 2007

Plot llama!

Okay, so it's actually a stray cat we gave shelter two years ago. But I called him Llama, so he counts as one.

Hiding behind my dad's books, lol. Totally off topic, but if you see that thin book with the red cover on the left (De Nederlandse geschiedenis in een notendop): that's where I found the plot for last year's NaNo. Something about how we can never be sure what Civilis' motives for revolting were (of course, once my masterpiece is published, the world will know the truth: Civilis wanted revenge on Labeo and Flaccus because they had stolen his chocolate).

And here is my little plot Llama, ready to attack.
He was such an adorable little cat. Very playful - he used to attack his reflection in the mirror and everything. Mum said I could keep him but my own cat didn't agree, so we had to find a new home for Llama.

So, anyway. The plot:

"He [Agricola] took the decision to reduce the Island of Mona (Anglesey). (...) The general's resource and resolution got the troops across. Auxiliaries, specially selected from those who knew the fords and whose national practice was to swim while carrying their weapons and controlling their horses, were told to discard all their equipment. Then he launched them into attack so suddenly that the enemy were dumbfounded."
(Agricola, by Tacitus. Translated by AR Birley, Oxford World's Classics)

Those auxiliaries will, of course, be Batavians. So this year's NaNo will be about the first part of Agricola's governorship of Britain, 77 AD. I'll (hopefully) be able to build a half-decent plot around that. I have a week off from school now, and though I have to work three days there'll be some time for research. However, I also have to do an incredible amount of homework - though not much physics. I'm ahead of the rest of the class *grins* And I got a 6- for my physics test (which means I beat one of the nerds, again, muahahaha).
Also, I have to figure out everything about my Uni application. I've decided to study Oudheidkunde (Ancient studies) in Amsterdam. It sounds like a lot of fun, but it means I have to go through the bureaucratic labyrinth of application forms and special exams and translated report cards. Sometimes I wonder whether Unis actually want foreign students, lol.

Well, I'm going to do at least some research, work ahead in all school subjects, and most importantly: go to Trondheim tomorrow and stock up on chocolate covered coffee beans :)

Oh yes. Reposting that little riddle (you aren't getting a snippet until you solve it! I need time to deninja, lol):

I B 3 d V

You have to find the next letter/number, and also post an explanation (no wild guesses:P).

5 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Aw, cute kitty.

Hehe, we're getting closer, setting-wise. Mine will take place 83-85 AD and include Domitian's war agains the Chatti in Germania, and the battle of Mons Graupius in Britannia. Agricola will play a role, and of course, I'm going to have some Batavians as well.

Yours sounds like you cold have some submarines instead of ufos this time. :)

Smarty said...

Submarines? *rotflol*

This year the plot will mostly be from my own imagination (last year I had to deal with about a dozen battles and skirmishes, plus 18 legions and 16 tribes which kept changing sides and bribing each other. It gave me a headache:P). So, this year, the plot will be my own but set against a historical background. It'll start in 73-ish AD with Frontinus' campaigns against the Silures and end with the attack on Anglesey in 77. And the MC will be a Batavian with divided loyalties *grins*

Gabriele Campbell said...

Divided loyalties are fun.

My MC is a Roman who finds out that his mother was from the Cerones (a tribe at the Scottish westcoast). Right before the battle of Mons Graupius. Mwuahaha

Smarty said...

My MC will at first be loyal to Rome and want to regain honour for his tribe or whatever. Then he meets with some mad Celts and they start plotting and wanting to revolt, but a few of MC's Batavian friends refuse to join in. Or something. And I might murder his sister. The climax of action for me will be that attack on Anglesey. I refuse to believe that "the enemy were dumbfounded".

Gabriele Campbell said...

That dumbfounded is probably a topos like the freedom speeches Tacitus gives to everyone, Caratacus, Boudicca, Calgacus ... all schooled in Roman rhetorics, lol. And when a 'barbarian' uses his brains, he's sneaky, while Romans are intelligent. :)