22 January 2008

Some art

Drawn after a pic by Johnny Shumate - "The appearance of 'Agricolan' Batavian soldier" - from the June/July 2007 issue of Ancient Warfare.

Apologies for the absolutely horrible quality. I had to take a picture of it with my camera and then add some more contrast on the computer.

Pretend he's not wearing crocodile slippers.

I'm still not completely happy with it, though. The legs look completely off, the helmet's weird and don't even get me started on the shield, ugh! But otherwise I'm quite pleased with it.
Now I'm trying to find the courage to start painting. All that chain mail. It'll be a nightmare o_0

And once more, in negative, because it looks cool.

4 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

It doesn't look like chain mail in the origina, but like a lorica hamata.

Crocodile slippers aside, I could not even draw something that looked like a human. :)

Crystal said...

Pretty good drawing, especially the slippers;)

Kirsten Campbell said...

Well, his legs look a wee bit stumpy, true, but apart from that, he looks more human than anything I could ever draw. And I wish I had slippers like that. :)

Smarty said...

Yeah well, Gabriele, it'll still be a nightmare to paint ;)
Kirsten, I hope to get the legs sorted out a bit when I start shading. But the line drawing itself needs some more tweaking. It's difficult to tell now where his knees are.

Thanks, everyone :) Since the crocodile slippers seem popular, I might keep them (even though they look like they're about five sizes too small for him, haha). It'll give my art teacher a fit.